It is most likely that you drive your vehicle every day, or at least once a week. Be it a holiday or work from home, there are times when you might leave your car sitting in the garage or a parking space.
Staying in Dubai, you might want to be extra careful not to leave your vehicle parked in public parking places. Dubai Municipality has rules about leaving your vehicle stationary for a long time. If your car violates them, you might be issued a warning ticket, or worse, a fine of AED 500.
Leaving your car parked for a long time is not only bad for your pocket but also bad for your vehicle. The experts advise cars to be driven at least once every two to three weeks. Wondering why? Let’s take a look at what happens to your vehicle when you don’t drive it often.
• Batteries lose their charge – When you’re driving your car frequently, the battery gets charged during every drive. If your vehicle has remained parked for a long time, the loss of charge over time will cause the batteries to drain when you attempt to start it.
• Tires lose air pressure or get a flat spot – Cars are heavy, and this weight rests on the tires. Over time, tires begin to lose air, and the side of the tire in contact with the ground develops a flat spot. As a result, the tires tend to wear unevenly and even get permanently damaged.
• Oils, lubricants, and other liquids lose quality – All the fluids used in vehicles are developed to lubricate their various components. When not in use, these fluids become stale and lose viscosity.
• Belts and hoses erode – All vehicles have rubber components that age with time. Even when your car is stationary, these parts undergo erosion and can get damaged.
• Car body rusts – If left unattended, metal surfaces begin to form surface rust within a week. The more time your car is left unprotected, the deeper the rust forms.
• Pests infest the vehicle – Last but not least of all problems is pest infestation. Pests tend to nest in stationary cars. They can cause a lot of damage by chewing away wires plastics, and insulation to make their home.
It is advisable to leave your vehicle under the care of someone you trust. This way you can have your vehicle driven and properly kept even when you are not around.
For maintenance of your vehicle engine, you can trust Dial-A-Battery. Our team comes to your location within just 30 minutes of your call. They come fully equipped with state-of-the-art devices, and to perform necessary tests and battery replacement. For more details about our services and assistance call us at 800 24 7 365.