The iconic Captain Volt shares his super-expert advice.
It happens to the best of us. You’re dashing off to work or an appointment… you turn the ignition key on and well, your car won’t start. Frustration immediately kicks in. You’ve guessed right – your vehicle has a flat battery!
When your battery fails your vehicle won’t start, sometimes leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere. So why take chances? Call Dial-A-Battery for a free battery testing service for cars, SUVs or light trucks. One of our professional technicians will give your battery a proper health check and advice on repairs or a replacement, so there is no downtime and you are back on the road without delay.
The ever-alert Captain Volt was quick to advise “Why take chances with your battery when you can have it tested with us. The thing to remember is that automotive batteries contain toxic chemicals, so you need to treat them responsibly by having regular checks and then return them to an authorized dealer when you buy a new one.”
“It is vital that you keep the battery clamped tightly to the tray using the clamping arrangement provided. This prevents it from vibration, jumping or jiggling. A loose battery will spill acid, damage plates and other active parts inside. Also ensure to not fit an oversized battery on the tray in a tilted manner as it can lead to acid spills,” Captain Volt added.
As experts in the business, Dial-A-Battery believes it is better to be safe than sorry and offers its advice freely. For example, not storing batteries in hot places and refraining from removing the heat shield as it protects and improves the life of the battery. Batteries should be treated with utmost precaution and the use of protective gloves and safety glasses when handling are highly recommended. Dial-A-Battery has more valuable tips to offer in the interest of both the driver and the vehicle. For example, it is recommended that you use only white petroleum jelly or Vaseline to protect your battery terminals from corrosion. Motorists are advised to never apply grease on battery terminals as they can catch fire in the case of a loose connection or sparking.
Mr. Sajid, Senior Technician at Dial-A-Battery had more tips to offer “My job is to help vehicles live longer, just like a doctor cares for his patients. So you won’t be saving money by fixing a lower Capacity (Ah) battery even if it fits your battery tray size. This is a common mistake and can lead to premature failure of the battery.”
“I also tell my customers to keep an eye on the Magic Eye. The “White Magic Eye” means your battery needs to be revived by re-charging. In cases where the battery has “Red Magic Eye” the motorist needs to replace the battery immediately,” Technician Sajid continued.
In keeping with its commitment to the automobile industry in the Emirates, Dial-A-Battery is happy to share more useful advice. Motorists can call 800 24 7 365 to speak to a technician or use the friendly online chat service.
Dial-A-Battery is the one source solution for batteries. All diagnostics are conducted on-site thus saving motorists all the trouble of having their vehicle towed or taken to workshops. The company stocks large range of SOLITE, Bosch & AC DELCO batteries and is equipped with state-of-the-art computerized systems that save the motorist valuable time and money.
How important do you think your tyres are? They are a crucial part of your vehicle’s safety and you shouldn’t neglect them. Statistics have shown that tyre failure is certainly the cause of many traffic accidents and road deaths in the UAE. But many of these crashes could be avoided if the following tips are implemented.
Safety Tips for Your Tyres
- Always examine your tyres regularly to know its condition.
- Remove stones or any other object embedded in the tread.
- Contact a tyre specialist in the case of lumps or bulges.
- Check the tyre pressure on a regular basis and not before a long trip.
- Always keep your tyres at the required pressure which is stated in your car owner’s manual.
- Correct pressures are needed for maximum safety, grip and good tyre life.
- Ensure your wheel alignment is in good shape as it can cause your tyres to wear easily.
- Always have the wheel alignment checked when installing new tyres.
- Do not mix tyres of different types on the same axle except in the case of temporary use of spare tyres.
Before setting off on a car trip, certify your vehicle is in excellent conditions. You can do this by checking the overall conditions of your tyres. And to know the depths of your tyre treads, you can do the penny test for your car before commencing on a journey.
It is not abnormal for the overall performance of your tyre to reduce over a period of time. Worn-out tyres will surely slow down the performance of your car. Sparing some time to know the condition of your tyres will go a long way in keeping you and your family safe. Good luck!
Have you experienced this before? You have an urgent place to go and your car battery refuses to work. And despite all the troubleshooting you did, your vehicle can’t just be powered up.
If you’ve being in the above situation before, you are not alone in this. Most times, that kind of situation often makes us not to be able to drive our car or reach our destination on time.
To avoid this, we present to you some tips to maintain your car battery.
Tips to Maintain Your Car Battery
- Ensure you carry out a periodic inspection on your car battery at least once in a month.
- A filthy battery connection will weaken the charge, ensure to clean away grease, dirt and oxidation.
- Avoid spillage; make sure your car battery top and tray remains clean and dry.
- Visually check the case of your car battery for any sign of physical damage.
- For conventional batteries, always maintain your car battery’s water level.
- Make use of distilled water when filling your car battery.
- Avoid using tap water. Doing so causes battery corrosion.
- Never overfill your car battery.
- Do not quick-charge your car battery.
- Charge your car battery only in a ventilated space.
- Do not wait till your car battery is flat before charging it.
- Avoid long periods of inactivity. It reduces your car battery’s functionality.
- Never store your car battery in areas that are extremely cold or hot.
- Ensure your car battery is charged to at least 70% before storing.
- In situations where your battery isn’t put to use, store it in a cool and dry space.
- Batteries are highly toxic and dangerous, always exercise caution.
- Always consult vehicle manuals for instructions and safety precautions.
- Wear proper safety clothing, googles, gloves and shoes.
Make sure you keep to the maintenance tips mentioned above to enjoy your car battery for a very long period. Good luck!