The UAE is one of the most exotic places on the planet, large open spaces and smooth roads that just seem to call you to get into your car and go for long drives. In a few weeks it will be peak summer time and a lot of UAE; Abu Dhabi and Dubai regulars would set out for road trips. But have you ever noticed that cars tend to be a little more difficult to maintain during the summer in UAE? If you have noticed this situation before, then have no fear as it is quite common. The reasons for this are actually quite simple:
- You actually drive a lot more in the summer: Using your car more often will always put a lot more stress on it than usual.
- The UAE can get really hot in summer: when given the choice between extreme cold and extreme heat, a number of us would pick warmth, but this can be tough on the radiators, crack the tyres, clog up the filters and stress the batteries.
Here is what to do to keep your car in good summer condition:
- Clean out your fuel filters at the start of the season.
- Check your tyres for wear and replace them if need be.
- Check your windshield wipers and change them if there are signs of wear on the edges.
- Go for an oil change and get a lighter or less viscous motor oil.
- Check your radiators and hoses for leakages or cracks. If you have any, ensure you replace them. If you use specialized coolants, this would be a great time to get a top up.
- As always ensure your batteries are in top condition before you begin your vacation trips.
Like Mr. Sajid, our Senior Technician at Dial-A-Battery will say, “Our job is to make cars live longer”, call us today at Dial-A-Battery, the one-source solution for authentic and high performing SOLITE, Bosch, AC DELCO and Eveready batteries that will make your car last longer and perform better.
The iconic Captain Volt shares his super-expert advice.
It happens to the best of us. You’re dashing off to work or an appointment… you turn the ignition key on and well, your car won’t start. Frustration immediately kicks in. You’ve guessed right – your vehicle has a flat battery!
When your battery fails your vehicle won’t start, sometimes leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere. So why take chances? Call Dial-A-Battery for a free battery testing service for cars, SUVs or light trucks. One of our professional technicians will give your battery a proper health check and advice on repairs or a replacement, so there is no downtime and you are back on the road without delay.
The ever-alert Captain Volt was quick to advise “Why take chances with your battery when you can have it tested with us. The thing to remember is that automotive batteries contain toxic chemicals, so you need to treat them responsibly by having regular checks and then return them to an authorized dealer when you buy a new one.”
“It is vital that you keep the battery clamped tightly to the tray using the clamping arrangement provided. This prevents it from vibration, jumping or jiggling. A loose battery will spill acid, damage plates and other active parts inside. Also ensure to not fit an oversized battery on the tray in a tilted manner as it can lead to acid spills,” Captain Volt added.
As experts in the business, Dial-A-Battery believes it is better to be safe than sorry and offers its advice freely. For example, not storing batteries in hot places and refraining from removing the heat shield as it protects and improves the life of the battery. Batteries should be treated with utmost precaution and the use of protective gloves and safety glasses when handling are highly recommended. Dial-A-Battery has more valuable tips to offer in the interest of both the driver and the vehicle. For example, it is recommended that you use only white petroleum jelly or Vaseline to protect your battery terminals from corrosion. Motorists are advised to never apply grease on battery terminals as they can catch fire in the case of a loose connection or sparking.
Mr. Sajid, Senior Technician at Dial-A-Battery had more tips to offer “My job is to help vehicles live longer, just like a doctor cares for his patients. So you won’t be saving money by fixing a lower Capacity (Ah) battery even if it fits your battery tray size. This is a common mistake and can lead to premature failure of the battery.”
“I also tell my customers to keep an eye on the Magic Eye. The “White Magic Eye” means your battery needs to be revived by re-charging. In cases where the battery has “Red Magic Eye” the motorist needs to replace the battery immediately,” Technician Sajid continued.
In keeping with its commitment to the automobile industry in the Emirates, Dial-A-Battery is happy to share more useful advice. Motorists can call 800 24 7 365 to speak to a technician or use the friendly online chat service.
Dial-A-Battery is the one source solution for batteries. All diagnostics are conducted on-site thus saving motorists all the trouble of having their vehicle towed or taken to workshops. The company stocks large range of SOLITE, Bosch & AC DELCO batteries and is equipped with state-of-the-art computerized systems that save the motorist valuable time and money.
Have you experienced this before? You have an urgent place to go and your car battery refuses to work. And despite all the troubleshooting you did, your vehicle can’t just be powered up.
If you’ve being in the above situation before, you are not alone in this. Most times, that kind of situation often makes us not to be able to drive our car or reach our destination on time.
To avoid this, we present to you some tips to maintain your car battery.
Tips to Maintain Your Car Battery
- Ensure you carry out a periodic inspection on your car battery at least once in a month.
- A filthy battery connection will weaken the charge, ensure to clean away grease, dirt and oxidation.
- Avoid spillage; make sure your car battery top and tray remains clean and dry.
- Visually check the case of your car battery for any sign of physical damage.
- For conventional batteries, always maintain your car battery’s water level.
- Make use of distilled water when filling your car battery.
- Avoid using tap water. Doing so causes battery corrosion.
- Never overfill your car battery.
- Do not quick-charge your car battery.
- Charge your car battery only in a ventilated space.
- Do not wait till your car battery is flat before charging it.
- Avoid long periods of inactivity. It reduces your car battery’s functionality.
- Never store your car battery in areas that are extremely cold or hot.
- Ensure your car battery is charged to at least 70% before storing.
- In situations where your battery isn’t put to use, store it in a cool and dry space.
- Batteries are highly toxic and dangerous, always exercise caution.
- Always consult vehicle manuals for instructions and safety precautions.
- Wear proper safety clothing, googles, gloves and shoes.
Make sure you keep to the maintenance tips mentioned above to enjoy your car battery for a very long period. Good luck!